The Large Intestine Meridian
The large intestine meridian is the Yang organ paired with the Yin Lungs in the Metal Element.
What does the Large Intestine Do?
The purpose of the large intestine (colon) is
- reabsorption of water
- absorption of some vitamins and minerals including sodium, potassium, and vitamin K. Recent studies have shown that the large intestine is also responsible for absorption of small amounts of calcium and magnesium.
- The large intestine is our human bin, ridding the body of any waste products called faeces.
What are the Kinesiology Muscles for the Large Intestine Meridian?
- Fascia Lata
- Quadratus lumborum(deep abdominal muscles in the lower back)
- Hamstrings(back of the thighs)
Common imbalances in the Large Intestine Meridian
- Indigestion and digestive issues including IBS, constipation, or diarrhoea
- Back ache (because of the connection between the hamstrings and the sacrum, plus the quadratus lumborum location)
- Food intolerances
- Poor immunity
- Weight instability
- Hormone imbalance including oestrogen dominance
- Bad skin (if waste toxins are not excreted effectively by the large intestine)
- Malfunctioning ileo-cecal valve
- Low energy and lethargy
- Breast soreness due to congestion
Balancing the Large Intestine Meridian using the BEES
The BEES stand for Biochemical, Emotional, Electrical, Structural. These 4 areas are the focus of a Kinesiology therapy.
Look at food intolerances with a large intestine imbalance. First considerations are wheat, dairy and sugar due to their anti-nutrient effects on the body.
Lifestyle recommendations for the large intestine include
- increasing healthy fibre from vegetables
- eating healthy fats (provides slip in the bowel)
- drinking water
- deep breathing massages the large intestine as well as the Metal Element yin organ is the lungs
Muscle Testing for Supplements
When a large intestine muscle is imbalanced (often unlocking when challenged in a muscle test), we muscle test supplements to find what will strengthen the circuit
In Traditional Chinese Medicine the large intestine belongs to the ‘Metal element which is the emotion of grief, letting go, guilt and regret.
Those with a large intestine imbalance can be teary, struggle to move forward in life and hold on to the past.
Some of the other emotional issues linked to the large intestine meridian include:
- emotional introversion
- depression and negativity
The large intestines meridian’s time is between 5 a.m.- 7 a.m. This is ideally when we need to be getting up in the morning, moving our body and having a bowel movement. Some clients with large intestine issues will sometimes have skin issues on the large intestine meridian such as the beginnings or end of the meridian.
The large intestine muscles support the lower back; therefore, it is common to see the following postural misalignments with an imbalanced large intestine;
- hyper-extended hamstrings
- lower back issues
- turned in feet (due to an imbalanced fascia lata)
To balance the large intestine structurally, it is recommended to
- sit in a squat position to engage the large intestine and muscles during a bowel movement.
- massage the large intestine muscles with a foam roller to relieve constipation